Director of Data Science & AI
Director of Data Science and AI
Location: Flexible, Remote, with travel to DC HQ as needed
Sorcero is the leading life sciences language intelligence platform. Its advanced analytics enable 40% of the top 10 global life sciences organizations to gain clarity and complete visibility on the efficacy and impact of their scientific engagement on patient outcomes. Medical affairs teams rely on Sorcero to multiply their productivity by 10x and to transform their medical strategy with real-time advanced analytics across the therapeutic landscape. Sorcero is privately-held and headquartered in Washington, DC. For more information, visit www.Sorcero.com.
WHY JOIN SORCERO?
Sorcero is making significant strides towards transforming decision-making by empowering stakeholders with insights to augment their expertise and, ultimately, improve patient outcomes. We have an incredible understanding and appreciation for these markets. We are building technology that is powerful and differentiated, all while solving huge challenges in people’s lives and health that were previously intractable. By joining our team, you would play a critical role in our growth and success by collaborating with our network of passionate entrepreneurs to build a scalable, impactful organization.
No matter what challenges await us, the Sorcero team grows together by learning from one another and supporting personal development. From flexible working arrangements to encouraging meaningful interactions with teammates across the globe, Sorcero provides a supportive community to bring out the best in us.
We find our employees are driven by the following common values:
- Pursuit of excellence and mastery of their craft
- Humility in defeat and in success
- Kindness and empathy towards others
- Desire to create large-scale, positive change
Sorcero builds AI powered solutions, combining the power of deep learning with the accuracy of ontologies to drive natural language understanding. Our platform and applications are used by top Pharma companies, scientists and researchers. We are looking for a Director of Data Science and AI to contribute to our overarching data and AI R&D.
The ideal candidate will be an innovative thinker with the ability to execute quickly. Someone who thrives on developing new technology, challenging the status quo and is not afraid to ask questions. A good fit would be a very experienced Data Science and Artificial Intelligence leader who has expertise in the Life Sciences domain and a natural curiosity for big data and analytics. You will be expected to contribute to the decision making process and influence the design, functionality and application of our product line.
Keep in mind - this is a challenging domain. We make decisions fast, based on scientific facts, using advanced custom technology. We are not building standard, ordinary applications. Our products are innovative and so is our team. This is a great opportunity for someone looking to contribute meaningfully and learn a LOT while having fun in the process.
You will be responsible for setting the Data Science and AI R&D agenda in support of our product. You will be leading a team of AI engineers and Data Scientists to deliver novel features for our medical content management software. In this position you are expected to work closely with Product and Technology leadership to draw strategic decisions on the product.
Responsibilities include designing a research roadmap to support product features and capabilities; active contribution to strategic discussions regarding our products; offer recommendations to both MLOps and engineering teams on how to bring AI solutions to the product; collaborate in the creation of whitepapers and associated documentation to explain our AI capabilities in support of our commercial team; support company leadership in conversations with investors and prospective customers.
We are looking for a rare breed, someone with both strong engineering and research chops. This is not an academic research position, but a demanding, fast paced, start-up context where there is a strong focus on applied research to solve problems. Creative thinking and willingness to be challenged are a must. We value creativity, the hacker ethos, and a near-obsessive focus on building something that will make the future come a bit closer into focus.
This role reports to the CPO/CTO. It is expected that you:
- are NOT afraid of the unknown;
- have broken (and fixed) someone else’s code;
- are a creative thinker, and self-driven problem solver
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Mathematics or related major. Preferably with a higher level degree (MS / Phd) and experience doing research and development in a commercial environment.
- At least 5-10 years of Experience leading an AI, data science, data analytics, or data engineering team
- 2 years experience working in an early startup business
- Applied expertise in Natural Language Processing and Understanding;
- Applied expertise in statistics;
- Experience with AI and NLP in life sciences or healthcare applications is a plus;
- Can lead with novel ideas in an interdisciplinary environment;
- Strong written and oral communication skills and willingness to both listen and ask questions (We do not write implementation specs for you; you’ll be given a business problem to solve, and are expected to understand and explore the space of design alternatives to come up with a solution.);
- Have demonstrable experience in all aspects of the ML lifecycle (processing, training, evaluating, deploying, serving, monitoring), preferably in the NLP domain;
- Can work (and have worked) late and/or early under the influence of a deadline or inspiration;
- Confidence to ask questions. You will be an active contributor and business problem solver. You will be expected to understand, research and solution possible design alternatives in support of the product's success. You must be comfortable with speaking truth to power and chasing clarity of understanding;
- Excellent planning, analytical and interpersonal skills
- Ability to support EST work hours
Sorcero is a remote and globally distributed team. We offer a rewarding salary along with the following benefits:
- Three weeks PTO + 1 week of December holiday recess + 1 week Safe & Sick leave
- 10 company holidays + 2 floating holidays
- Medical, dental and vision benefits for you and your family
- Paid parental bonding leave
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Company-provided laptop and hardware
Because ∑ (human + AI) > human or AI alone.
Sorcero is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, education, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. and celebrates the diversity of its growing team.
We are unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of employment Visa at this time.
Something looks off?